[cups.general] BrowseLocalProtocols CUPS kills cupsd [Was: Printing to shared/remote queus & LDAP 'browseing']

Adam Tauno Williams awilliam at whitemice.org
Wed Jun 13 06:04:11 PDT 2012

On Wed, 2012-06-13 at 07:08 -0400, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
> On Wed, 2012-06-13 at 07:05 -0400, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
> > On Tue, 2012-06-12 at 21:38 -0400, Michael Sweet wrote:
> > > Adam,
> > > Yes, we intentionally do not allow this configuration
> > Excellent, thanks for the response.  Keeps me from beating my head
> > against the wall.
> > Apparently it isn't possible to remotely print to a discovered queue via
> > IPP either.  I suppose this makes sense
> If I configure CUPS to 'browse' queues via LDAP -
> BrowseLocalProtocols cups ldap
> BrowseRemoteProtocols ldap
> - can those print queues be shared with clients?

At least on my CentOS6 box specification of "ldap" in
BrowseLocalProtocol causes cupsd to immediately exit.  Take "ldap" out
and CUPS runs again; the documentation lists "ldap" as a valid option
for BrowseLocalProtocol

cups-1.4.2-44.el6_2.3.x86_64

Setting the log level to debug doesn't produce anything about this
information.