[cups.general] LDAP Browsing & "Bad Printer URI"

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Wed Jun 13 20:46:20 PDT 2012

Adam,

On Jun 13, 2012, at 8:13 AM, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
> I've added the CUPS schema to my LDAP DSA and created a cupsPrinter
> object.  Then I pointed my CUPS server to BrowseRemoteProtocol ldap and
> other related directives.
>
> I appears to discover the printer but in the error log I see -
>
> Bad printer URI in browse data: ipp://lpd01996.dynamic.mormail.com/ipp
>
> - and the printer queue is not available.  How is that a bad URI?  Do
> URIs in LDAP objects need to be encoded in any special form?

The current LDAP support in 1.5.x and earlier expects printer URIs of the form "ipp://servername/printers/name" or "ipp://servername/classes/name".  CUPS 1.6 removes support for LDAP using the non-standard CUPS schema - future versions will re-add this to the new printing APIs so that we can discover compatible (shared or otherwise) printers using the standard LDAP Printer schema...