[cups.general] Printing to shared/remote queus & LDAP 'browseing' [Was: cups-lpd and remote queues]

Adam Tauno Williams awilliam at whitemice.org
Fri Jun 15 03:53:22 PDT 2012

On Wed, 2012-06-13 at 23:42 -0400, Michael Sweet wrote:
> On Jun 13, 2012, at 7:08 AM, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
> >> Excellent, thanks for the response.  Keeps me from beating my head
> >> against the wall.
> >> Apparently it isn't possible to remotely print to a discovered queue via
> >> IPP either.  I suppose this makes sense
> If I configure CUPS to 'browse' queues via LDAP -
> > BrowseLocalProtocols cups ldap
> > BrowseRemoteProtocols ldap
> > - can those print queues be shared with clients?
> Sorry, no.  Anything marked as a "remote" printer can't be shared.
> The usual workaround is to use a passthrough PPD (one that has
> cupsFilter lines for most file formats with a "-" filter) based on the
> original PPD from the server.

Thanks, I understand better now.  The browsing/sharing is just intended
for other IPP clients;  it isn't intended to create a 'mesh' of
available printers.

I've disabled browsing and created CUPS queues on serverA that point to
the queue on serverB.  That seems to work.  serverB will only know about
its own queues - which isn't quite as automatic as I'd like - but good
enough for now.

Someday being able to deploy print servers at points on the WAN that can
just 'learn' all the available printers [hundreds] and present them as
queues to clients on the local network would be really useful.  We just
want to get clients away from sending the jobs over the WAN (get them
onto a server locally and let that deal with it) since many clients
don't do well with slower or higher latency connections to printers (and
print jobs can be LARGE).