Unable to find required library archive command

Piyush Saxena piyush128k at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 15 08:45:28 PDT 2012

> Piyush Saxena wrote:
>
> > Me a new bee. I have gotten to the part where, i have installed the
> > imaging libraries :- JPEG, PNG, TIFF, and ZLIB libraries. Some where on
> > the internet it says to at least install SFWcups, SFWgcmn, SFWoscp,
> > SFWespgs, SFWgcc34l from the companion CD but there exists none in the
> > i386 folder. Foomatic is done. You see am using VM for my sun 10 operating
> > system. GCC looks good with 3.4.6 . I am using CUPS ver 1.5.3 install
> > file.
> >
> > I am more concerned with the last line below and would like some guidance
> > and "help :- configure: error: Unable to find required library archive
> > command."
> >
> > I go to CUPS dir and type: #./configure and below is the output i get....
> >
> > bash-3.2# ./configure
> > checking for gawk... no
> > checking for mawk... no
> > checking for nawk... nawk
> > checking for gcc... gcc
> > checking whether the C compiler works... yes
> > checking for C compiler default output file name... a.out
> > checking for suffix of executables...
> > checking whether we are cross compiling... no
> > checking for suffix of object files... o
> > checking whether we are using the GNU C compiler... yes
> > checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
> > checking for gcc option to accept ISO C89... none needed
> > checking how to run the C preprocessor... gcc -E
> > checking for g++... g++
> > checking whether we are using the GNU C++ compiler... yes
> > checking whether g++ accepts -g... yes
> > checking for ranlib... no
> > checking for ar... no
> > checking for chmod... /usr/bin/chmod
> > checking for gzip... /usr/bin/gzip
> > checking for htmldoc... no
> > checking for ld... /usr/ucb/ld
> > checking for ln... /usr/bin/ln
> > checking for mv... /usr/bin/mv
> > checking for rm... /usr/bin/rm
> > checking for rmdir... /usr/bin/rmdir
> > checking for sed... /usr/bin/sed
> > checking for xdg-open... no
> > checking for install-sh script... using /cups-1.5.3/install-sh
> > configure: error: Unable to find required library archive command.
>
> Make sure that /usr/ccs/bin and /usr/xpg4/bin are in the search path. The ar
> command should be in both directories.
>
> Helge

I dont know why my reply did not get pasted. It was a lengthy and detailed one.
Will make it short now.
i added the two directories to the path and it moved ahead. not sure what to do with the ar command. i went ot the link :- http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/aix/v7r1/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.aix.cmds%2Fdoc%2Faixcmds1%2Far.htm
and tried the first few commands there but nothing happened.
then i tried to
setenv CFLAGS "-I/some/directory" ENTER
setenv CXXFLAGS "-I/some/directory" ENTER
setenv LDFLAGS "-L/some/directory" ENTER
setenv DSOFLAGS "-L/some/directory" ENTER
./configure ... ENTER

but it gives:- bash"setenv:command not found

but this worked
CFLAGS="-I/some/directory"; export CFLAGS ENTER
CXXFLAGS="-I/some/directory"; export CXXFLAGS ENTER
LDFLAGS="-L/some/directory"; export LDFLAGS ENTER
DSOFLAGS="-L/some/directory"; export DSOFLAGS ENTER
./configure ... ENTER

then i do
./configure --enable-ssl \
    --with-openssl-includes=/foo/bar/include \
    --with-openssl-libs=/foo/bar/lib
now line 2 and lione 3 do not work but the first one does somthing and it looks good. but i know that ssl and tsl libraries are not installed by me why because it is not available on the site :- http://www.openssl.org/
#make gives me :-
*** Error code 1
The following command caused the error:
g++  -Wall -Wno-format-y2k -Wunused -fPIC -Os -g -I.. -D_CUPS_SOURCE -I/usr/include/kerberosv5   -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -D_LARGEFILE64_SOURCE -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D_THREAD_SAFE -D_REENTRANT -D_POSIX_PTHREAD_SEMANTICS  -c -o ppdc-array.o ppdc-array.cxx
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `ppdc-array.o'
Current working directory /cups-1.5.3/ppdc
*** Error code 1
The following command caused the error:
for dir in cups test filter backend berkeley cgi-bin driver monitor notifier ppdc scheduler systemv conf data desktop locale man doc examples templates  fonts; do\
        echo Making all in $dir... ;\
        (cd $dir ; make  all ) || exit 1;\
done
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `all'