newbie, misc questions

Helge Blischke h.blischke at acm.org
Mon Jun 18 11:57:22 PDT 2012

Gary Aitken wrote:

>> Finally, while I can get some things to print using lp or lpr, I cannot
>> get any landscape orientation file to print (.pdf is all I'v
>> e tried).  Something gets sent to the printer, as it wakes up and shakes
>> itself; but never prints anything.
>
> This problem can be worked around by installing xpdf from
>   http://www.foolabs.com/xpdf/
> and printing from the xpdf viewer.
>
> However, I tried moving /usr/local/libexec/cups/filter/pdftops aside and
> making it a symlink to /usr/local/libexec/xpdf/pdftops and that did not
> solve the problem of printing landscape via lp or lpr.

You need a wrapper for that utility which conforms to the CUPS filter API.
Take the attached Perl script as a wrapper and put it into your cups/filter
directory. Maybe you need to adjust the configuration statements to your
needs.

Helge

PS: I must attach the script here because the link of the CUPS web site to
it is broken since a couple of days.