[cups.general] PCL to PDF document

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Wed Jun 27 00:46:04 PDT 2012

Hello,

On Jun 26 07:56 Mike McArthur wrote (excerpt):
>> I use ghostpcl for the pcl to pdf conversion.
> ... do I have to install that from source, or would
> there be an RPM available for Suse 11.1

See
http://www.ghostscript.com/GhostPCL.html
GhostPCL
GhostPDL 9.05 is the current stable release.
To be useful, GhostPCL also requires a font set. An archive of the
standard 80 TrueType fonts from URW is available below
These are the set of 80 standard TrueType fonts from URW in a
separate archive.
  * urwfonts-8.71.tar.bz2
The same set of 80 standard fonts from URW are also available
in Type 1 versions for users who prefer that format...
  * urwfonts_t1-1.40.tar.bz2

There is no official SUSE RPM available for ghostpcl/ghostpdl.

Basically everyone who likes can use the openSUSE build service
to build his own packages in his own so called "home project".
Packages in the home projects in the openSUSE build service
are not at all supported by SUSE. You are totally on your own
when you download and install such packages. Anything (even
possibly evil stuff) might happen. You totally depend on what
the owner in his home project does (he can change the sources
as he likes) and how much you trust him. Verify at least that
the owner of a home project uses the original sources and check
if he applies patches or other changes or suspicious addons.

In the home projects in the openSUSE build service I found
the package "ghostpdl" in the home project "home:aljex".

Go to
http://software.opensuse.org/search
and enter "ghostpdl"
and in the results click on "Unsupported distributions"
and then you must decide if you trust what you get from there.

I do not say that "ghostpdl" from "home:aljex" is broken or even
evil software. I only like to point out that there is not any kind
of warranty or support by SUSE for packages from home projects
or other non-official projects like development projects e.g.
https://build.opensuse.org/project/show?project=Printing
in the openSUSE build service.

In general it would be safer when you become a member of the
openSUSE build service so that you can build your own packages, see
https://build.opensuse.org/

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner