Utf-8 encoding issue with foriegn language in non-mac machine

Helge Blischke h.blischke at acm.org
Wed Jun 27 04:25:29 PDT 2012

chandrashekar wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am trying to print utf-8 encoded text file with korean fonts in it, I am
> using Generic-PostScript.ppd which is globalized with korean translation.
> I am trying to print a text file but instead of korean font its displaying
> boxes. Please provide me some insight of how to achieve localization.
>
> Changes done:
>
> Message catalog present in: share/locale/ko folder
> Globalized PPD: etc/cups/ppd folder
> Cups version: 1.5.2
>
> http://www.opensource.apple.com/source/cups/cups-136/cups/ppd/generic.ppd
>
> Still no luck, need help in this regards,

Well, the Monospace font family distributed with CUPS does not contain a
korean script (set of glyphs) as far as I can see, and GNU FreeMono doesn't
either.
You'll need to find a suitable font (see CJK fonts) and possibly merge that
into Monospace or FreeMono and use that instead.
As for font merging, this can be done e.g. using the free FontForge; you may
ask me off the list if you need assistance.

Helge