[cups.general] Solaris 10 SPARC, CUPS, high volume printing and "lp: unable to print file: server-error-service-unavailable"

Wilkinson, Hugo (IT Dept) HWilkinson at amari-metals.com
Thu Jun 28 09:52:49 PDT 2012

Good morning/afternoon,

Im running Cups 1.4 (i know, i know!) on Solaris 10 SPARC ...  99.9% of the time it performs miraculously doing and behaving exactly as we want.

We dont use any filters or drivers, every job is just pure raw files, all through port 9100. The printers are setup with;

lpadmin -p <printer> -E -v socket://<printer-host>:9100

The jobs themselves are either pure ascii, control-coded ascii, or postscript (some generated from an Adobe Postscript driver, other's hand-written from scratch).

The 0.1% of the time it mis-behaves, is when we have a high volume in a very short amount of time (for example, 60 print jobs in a matter of seconds).

It appears that we can catch CUPS 'off-guard', like it's busy doing something else, and you throw a print job at it via "lp -d <printer>" and it comes back with: "lp: unable to print file: server-error-service-unavailable" ...

The very next print job, which might literally be milliseconds later, goes through fine.. and so you end up with 59 out of 60 pages printed.

There is no discernable pattern to these events apart from I believe it only happens during times of high-volume/density printing, and I think only with the Postscript jobs .. and *maybe* only those generated from Adobe PS print driver. Trying to replicate the problem is troublesome as usually it works.. But every so often, it just 'happens' ...

Any idea's?  I would upgrade CUPS, but I dont seem to be able to find another binary release for SPARC architecture except 1.4, and our machine doesnt have internet access to sign-up for Blastwave such services. Neither do we have the skill-set to easily build from the source :*(

Any tips or idea's is most appreciated.

Thanks
Regards
Hugo

********** Internet Email Confidentiality Footer **********
Privileged/Confidential information may be contained in this message.
If you have received this message in error you should, without taking any
copies, Immediately delete it from your system and kindly notify the sender by
reply email. Opinions, conclusions and other information in this message that do
not relate to the official business of this company shall be understood as
neither given nor endorsed by it. All contractual transactions are subject to our
trading conditions, copies of which are available on request.
Amari Metals Limited. Registered in England and Wales number 2023155.
Registered Office 25 High Street, Cobham, Surrey, KT11 3DH.