[cups.bugs] [HIGH] STR #4114: Bad bulk print performance

patrick padrik at xs4all.nl
Sat Jun 2 17:52:22 PDT 2012

[STR New]

Hi,

STR #3495 did not tackle the delay in bulk printing. It matters not if you
use ipp, socket, lpd or whatever. Waiteof or waitdc does not give a
noticeable improvement. Problem exists in MacOSX, FreeBSD, Ubuntu, Debian,
Centos, SLES and Opensuse from version 1.3 upwards. Version 1.1 did not
have this problem. The only feature differences I can think of is SNMP
lookup in the backend.

Printers: HP4250dn and HPp2055dn.
Versions: 1.3 to 1.5.3
Script: for i in $(seq 1 10); do lpr -P <queuename>  <somefile.txt>; done

You will notice that the printer stops for 1-2 seconds after 2-3 sheets.
This was not the case in version 1.1.
For bulk printing in warehouses etc this is unacceptable. People want to
see my blood outside my body after the upgrade.

Any thoughts,

Kind regards

Padrik

Link: http://www.cups.org/str.php?L4114