Audits and Authentication

Steve King steve at stevenking.com.au
Mon Jun 4 20:04:08 PDT 2012

Apologies if this has already been covered, I did a bit of a search around and I'm struggling to find what I need.

Currently I have HTTPs Cups running and I can authenticate to PAM no problems. I can connect multiple systems to it with the authentication and this is on OSx, *nix and Windows.

Checking the logs/page_log file I can see that the print jobs are coming through with the authenticated users credentials - which is good, (although there is some consistency issues unrelated to my current problem that I'm tracking down).

Now, the challenge is, when I tail the communication between the cups system and the printer driver, as I expected there is the origin user information, but this is not the AUTHENTICATED user information.

Ie;

@PJL ENTER LANGUAGE = POSTSCRIPT
%!PS-Adobe-3.0
%%Title: Test Page
%%Creator: PScript5.dll Version 5.2.2
%%CreationDate: 6/5/2012 13:0:23
%%For: Administrator
%%BoundingBox: (atend)
%%Pages: (atend)
%%Orientation: Portrait
%%PageOrder: Special

You can see the For: tag here being sent to the driver, is the windows username, NOT the authenticated username of the account on the CUPS server. (ie: in this job, I authenticated as steve).

Now, of course I understand the printer doesn't need to know "who" authenticated, because it doesn't care - CUPS does, but given that I want to perform some analytics on the pipe between the CUPS system and the Printer, I want to be able to track authenticated prints correctly.

Without forking the code and breaking things - does anyone have a good suggestion, or documentation entry I can take a look at? I'll keep looking for now, but eager to hear if anyone had success.

Steve.