print to email

Helge Blischke h.blischke at acm.org
Thu Jun 7 02:49:47 PDT 2012

sa sa wrote:

> Where I work a system has been put in place where I must email documents
> to the print server.
>
> I'd like to use cups to do this but do not know where to start - I noted
> some print to file scripts which I could potentially use (along with
> sendmail) to generate the appropriate email.
>
> Any hints gratefully received!

Some time ago I did a Perl script that generates email and sends it directly
using the SMTP protocol. This script can easily modified to act as a CUPS
backend, but it depends on that the email recipient application does accept
the sender as a legitimate source. Depending on your network organisation
and structure, you may need to specify these email xource hosts as trusted
mail xchange hosts in your DNS.

Drop me an email if you are interested in the Perl script.

Helge