[cups.bugs] Options fitplot and fit-to-page.

G.W. Haywood cups at jubileegroup.co.uk
Wed Jun 27 02:36:20 PDT 2012

Hi there,

I've been tearing out what little hair I have left trying to scale PDF
files to A4 using command line options to lp.  The files are mostly
engineering drawings which were originally created for A2 sheets.

The man page for lp talks about the fitplot option.  It's listed under
"COMMON JOB OPTIONS".  It didn't seem to do anything at all.  Grepping
the CUPS source I see not only that fitplot has been deprecated, but
also that it appears specifically to apply only to HP-GL/2 plot files.
This is not mentioned in the man pages.

The scaling option doesn't work here either, using both "scaling=10"
and "scaling=30" produces a plot of about 2 inches by 3 inches from
the A2 PDF drawings, centred in the A4 page.

Finally I stumbled across the fit-to-page option which worked at last
but doesn't seem to be mentioned anywhere in the man pages.

Can I send you a patch for the man pages, and if so where and how?

--

73,
Ged.