[cups.general] lpstat -v , very slow with over 1200 printers , local printer list

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Fri Mar 2 01:55:30 PST 2012

Hello,

On Mar 1 00:50 Matt Garrett wrote (excerpt):
> lpstat -v , very slow with over 1200 printers , local printer list
> Been using CUPS for years and works very well but over the last 6 months
> our CUPS server has grown from about 400 printers to 1200+

Only a guess:

Some time ago I solved a customer issue with "slow CUPS"
which was caused not by many print queues but by zillions
of job-control files for completed print jobs which cups
keeps in /var/spool/cups/c-<job-number> files and reads
into main memory.

See "MaxJobs" in
http://www.cups.org/documentation.php/doc-1.5/ref-cupsd-conf.html
The MaxJobs directive controls the maximum number of jobs that
are kept in memory. Once the number of jobs reaches the limit,
the oldest completed job is automatically purged
The default setting is 500.

I.e. in your case the number of jobs that are kept in memory has grown
from about 400 * 500 = 200000 to more than 1200 * 500 = 600000.
Perhaps in your case more than 600000 jobs kept in memory is too much?

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner