[cups.general] lpstat -v , very slow with over 1200 printers , local printer list

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Tue Mar 6 05:41:35 PST 2012

Hello Michael,

On Mar 2 08:03 Michael Sweet wrote:
> On Mar 2, 2012, at 1:55 AM, Johannes Meixner wrote:
>> Some time ago I solved a customer issue with "slow CUPS"
>> which was caused not by many print queues but by zillions
>> of job-control files for completed print jobs which cups
>> keeps in /var/spool/cups/c-<job-number> files and reads
>> into main memory.
>
> FWIW, the MaxJobs setting has been 500 for a long long time now;
> we haven't seen the "too much job history" problem in a while,
> and recent (>= 1.4) CUPS unloads the job history from memory
> when unused to help minimize total memory usage.  And while
> we *do* have a bug tracking some performance improvements
> in this area (STR #2913) that would not affect listing of
> printers which are always in memory and do not require

I do not remember what exactly was "slow" for this customer.
But I do remember that he had at most CUPS 1.3.x with MaxJobs=0
(he had MaxJobs=0 intentionally but I didn't understand why)
and that whatever was slow got normal speed after he removed
his zillions of job-control files (it was many Thousands).

On first glance everything looked normal on his CUPS server - except
his zillions of old job-control files. Only by gut feeling I suggested
to remove them - and voila!

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner