[cups.general] Print via terminal without usblp

Helge Blischke h.blischke at acm.org
Fri Mar 9 08:26:54 PST 2012

Yader Velásquez wrote:

> First I use lpinfo -v and get the next list
>
> network ipp
> network smb
> network socket
> network beh
> network http
> network lpd
> serial serial:/dev/ttyS0?baud=115200
> direct parallel:/dev/lp0
>
> then, I use lpadmin in this way
> $lpadmin -p testing -v parallel:/dev/lp0
>
> next step
> $accept testing
> $lp -d testing file.txt
>
> I get a message "request id is testing-x (1 file(s))"
>
> But it does'n work. What could i do?

>> > Thank you Helge, but how do I find the path to the device?
>> >

>> You then use the lp (or lpr) command, like
>>
>> echo "text" | lp -d rawprinter
>>
>> where rawprinter is the name of the raw print queue.
>>
>> Helge

You should connect the printer to an usb port and power on the printer
before executing lpinfo -v.
The command then should then print a line like
direct usb:/make/model?serial=foo "Make Model" "USB Printer" .

Then execute the lpadmin command as
lpadmin -p testing -v usb://Make/Model?serial=foo
by inserting the Make, Model, and foo placeholders by the real strings
listed. Make sure to represent special characters not allowed in URI strings
by %hl where hl are the hex digits of the character code (for instace:
represent a space char by %20 ).

Helge