CUPS driver for 64 bits Windows ?

franz.pfoertsch.brose franz.pfoertsch at brose.com
Mon Mar 12 09:59:49 PDT 2012

Hi Alet,

> We've been using CUPS' driver for windows on all of our 32 bits Windows
> clients for two years now, with automated driver installation through
> Samba, allowing us to use a single printer driver for our 60 printers.
>
> Now we've got an increasing number of 64 bits Windows 7 clients, for
> which this automated driver installation doesn't work because we don't
> have the 64 bits CUPS driver on our Samba server.
>
> So I've got two questions :

I have a set of 30 CUPS/Samba printserver all servers (10 to 200 printqueues) are host the printerdriver for WindowsXP/32bits and 64bits.
All printerdrivers are exported to Samba via the cups webinterface (cupsaddsmb).

Your realy have to follow the cupsaddsmb man-page. Only the microsoft-drivers are necessary!
The "cups postscript-drivers" are only used for two additional but not necessary features.

In the last month we are started the migration project to Win7/64bit. I only changed the x64 printerdriver to the win7/64 version and everything works fine.

This was a quite easy jobs.

regards
Franz

PS: tomorrow I will start to have a look at Windows8!