Print PCL with printer info from PPD?

Ian Pilcher arequipeno at gmail.com
Mon Mar 12 13:34:18 PDT 2012

I have a new color laser printer (KONICA MINOLTA magicolor 4750EN) that supports both PostScript and PCL6 (as well as XPS).  Using CUPS 1.5.2 on Fedora 16, it was easy to set it up as a PostScript printer.  (Just point CUPS at the PPD file and go.)

I would like to be able to use it as a PCL printer also.  (It's inevitable that someday I'll need to print a PDF that makes the PostScript interpreter's head explode.)

Is there any way to configure CUPS to use this is a PCL printer, while still getting the relevant information about the printer's capabilities from the PPD file?

Thanks!