[cups.general] Printing to a Windows Server fails

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Mon Mar 12 14:39:24 PDT 2012

Gerard,

On Mar 12, 2012, at 2:19 PM, Gerard Seibert wrote:
>> Enable debug logging (cupsctl --debug-logging), try printing, and
>> then look at the messages coming from the backend.  My guess is that
>> Windows' (very) limited IPP/1.0 support is to blame...
>
> I wouldn't be so quick to blame Windows. For starters, the OP stated
> that it did work under CUPS 1.4.3. Personally, I have had problems with
> version 1.5.x of CUPS also. Printing that use to work just fine
> suddenly stopped and no one can figure out why.

While there *were* some major changes to the IPP backend in CUPS 1.5 to support streaming of print jobs, many of the issues that have come up have been in the printers/print servers that only implement IPP/1.0 (which was a short-lived experimental version of IPP) and never got it right.  Microsoft has never implemented anything beyond the barest support for IPP/1.0, thus my comments...