[cups.general] Print PCL with printer info from PPD?

Helge Blischke h.blischke at acm.org
Tue Mar 13 03:16:10 PDT 2012

Ian Pilcher wrote:

> On 03/12/2012 04:00 PM, Michael Sweet wrote:
>> Not at present - PCL and PostScript input tray mappings are notoriously
>> difficult to sync up... :(
>
> Bummer.  :-(
>
> I don't suppose it's possible to extract that info from the Windows PCL
> driver and hack up a modified PPD file is it?

Well, in principle it sould be possible to develop a "pcltopcl" filter
analogous to the pstops filter and thus abuse the PPD specification to
provide PCL snippetes in place of PostScript snippets for option handling.
But this sould require an interpretation of the incoming PCL stream to a
fairly large extent.

As for your hypothetical problem, I doubt it would be worth the effort, and
I don't think there sould be any PDF (conforming to the spec) that could
bring your printer in PostScript mode to it's knees.

Helge