[cups.general] Cups modelscript setup information

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Thu Mar 15 00:58:53 PDT 2012

Hello,

On Mar 14 12:35 csarid wrote (excerpt):
> I am trying to use a script that does some conversion
> on the file sent to the printer via the "lp -d" command.
> I have setup the script and placed in the
> "/usr/lib/cups/backend" directory.

Probably
http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Using_Your_Own_Backends_to_Print_with_CUPS
helps you to make your own backend.

For your case "conversion on the file" I suggest to make a so called
"System V style interface script" instead of a backend, see
http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Using_Your_Own_Filters_to_Print_with_CUPS
because filters are meant to convert the data which is to be printed
while backends are meant to send the final data to the printer.

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner