Brother DCP-7040 ppd file?

tj 999alfred at comcast.net
Sun Mar 18 21:21:16 PDT 2012

I am trying to get a Brother DCP-7040 printer/scanner/copier printing (I'll worry about scanning after that). I downloaded the lpr and cupswrapper drivers from Brother and converted them from a .deb to .tgz (I use Slackware)and run installpkg on both as root from the "/" directory. I then attach the printer via USB and go to localhost:631 fill out the name page and the printer is listed as USB #1, which I select. But, the next page asks for the printer  or a .ppd file. The DCP-7040is not listed and there is no .ppd in the driver .tgz.

So, what do I need to get the printer working with cups/lpr?

tj