[cups.general] Brother HL-5250N help

Till Kamppeter till.kamppeter at gmail.com
Fri Mar 23 01:29:17 PDT 2012

On 03/23/2012 01:06 AM, Ross Vandegrift wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Strictly-speaking, this may be off-topic.  But since I haven't received a response on the foomatic lists, I'll re-ask here.

Sorry for not responding more quickly, I was very busy the last days.

> I am running CUPS 1.5.2 and foomatic 4.0.13 from Debian with a Brother
> HL-5250DN.  As of these releases, I am unable to print anything, with
> any driver my printer supports.  As of a year or two ago, all features
> of this printer worked perfectly.  Since then, it's fallen apart:
>
> * Postscript causes the printer to output blank pages
> * Brother BR-Script 3 causes the printer to output blank pages

These two are known problems in Debian and are mostly fixed in unstable.
They will be completely fixed as soon as cups-filters 1.0.8 gets uploaded.

If you are using testing, you need to install ghostscript and
cups-filters of unstable.

> * pxlmono takes about 10-15 minutes per page, and the output is is blown
> up too large.

pxlmono sends PCL-XL. It often happens that printers do not perform well
in PCL-XL mode. I can remove the relationship of your printer with
PCL-XL from the OpenPrinting database.

> * lj5gray produces output that is strangely small and doesn't support
> duplex printing.

Also this is PCL-XL. I can remove this, too.

> How can I get my printer working again?

Best results you wioll get if you wait for cups-filters 1.0.8 in
unstable, using the BR-Script or Foomatic/Postscript PPDs. If you go
this way already now (cups-filters 1.0.7) in some cases you can get
wrong output but it should mostly work.

You can also try the "Generic PCL-5e printer" with the "hpijs-pcl5e"
driver. Please tell whether this works for you.

    Till