[cups.general] Printing from Mac OS X 10.5.b (CUPS 1.3.11) toLinux server (Bonjour)

P. Larry Nelson lnelson at uiuc.edu
Sat Mar 24 06:52:39 PDT 2012

Hi Michael,

A Mac can still print without Avahi running on the linux/CUPS
print server by going to (on the Mac) Print & Fax and clicking on
the "+" to add a printer.

That brings up the Add Printer box and by clicking on the "IP" icon
(this is on Snow Leopard) and then selecting the IPP protocol, one
can then enter the name of the linux/CUPS print server in the
Adress: box and then entering the appropriate info in the Queue:

Other entries for Name:, Location:, and Print Using: would be
printer and local environment dependent.

- Larry

On 3/23/12 2:22 PM, Michael Sweet wrote:
> Macs will only see the printer via Bonjour, so if Avahi stops working they will not be able to access the printer at all.
>
> PC clients (running Windows?) will use SMB or IPP to a fixed hostname or address.  Similar, other Linux systems will prefer to use CUPS browsing which does not depend on Avahi.
>
> On Mar 23, 2012, at 12:10 PM, Paul Coene wrote:
>
>> I don't think its on the linux side, as that is the server, and PC clients can still print to it.
>>
>>> Sounds like Avahi is crashing on your Linux system.

P. Larry Nelson (217-244-9855) | Systems/Network Administrator
461 Loomis Lab                 | High Energy Physics Group
1110 W. Green St., Urbana, IL  | Physics Dept., Univ. of Ill.
MailTo:lnelson at uiuc.edu        | http://www.roadkill.com/lnelson/