auto-discover of network printers relies on ip6?

willie tumbleweed at fast-mail.org
Sat Mar 24 14:11:28 PDT 2012

Hello folks,

I wouldn't know if this is a bug or not but I'd sure like to understand what's happening.

I'm running linux 3.2.12/cups 1.5.2.

Since disabling the ip6 stack with kernel argument "ipv6.disable=1", cups fails to discover network printers on the cups server web page (localhost:631). If I remove that kernel line parameter and reinstate ip6, all is well again.

I've failed to find any info out there to suggest that cups *depends* on ipv6.

I use static IP addressing and the problem occurs with both wired and wireless networking.

(If it's relevant, one printer that's no longer discovered without an ipv6 stack is a Brother HL-5250dn.)

Can anyone help?

Thanks.