[cups.general] CUPS Manual Duplex

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Mon Mar 26 08:16:49 PDT 2012

Rykel,

On Mar 25, 2012, at 8:13 PM, Rykel <rykellim at gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear Sir/Madam, I am using a Brother HL-2140L home laser printer.
>
> The Windows driver is able to print through Manual Duplex. 2 dialogs will pop up subsequently with a picture of how to place the papers in the tray.
>
> However, this ability is not available in CUPS/Linux.

Correct.

> I have emailed Brother Support for Manual Duplex in Linux but unfortunately, they said that it will not be done.
>
> I wonder if the cool programmers here would be willing to hack out a way to print Manual Duplex on my printer (and others like it)?

The issue is one of communicating with the user that submitted the job from the print driver that is running as a different user and potentially a different system.  This would also need to be tied into the desktop environment you are using, etc.

The simplest solution is to offer this through the print dialog; a project called the "Common Print Dialog" is being worked on as part of Open Printing, and they are looking for ideas (like this one) for a Google Summer of Code project.  More information can be found here:

	http://www.linuxfoundation.org/collaborate/workgroups/openprinting