[cups.general] Spurious "Option media=na_letter_8.5x11in" entries in printers.conf

Till Kamppeter till.kamppeter at gmail.com
Tue Mar 27 07:24:59 PDT 2012

Yesterday I have done some tests with a native PDF printer, using CUPS
1.5.2 and cups-filters 1.0.9 (if filters are in both CUPS and
cups-filters I have used the cups-filters versions) on Ubuntu Precise
(12.04). The PPD file contains only PJL options, including PageSize
being PJL as in contrary to PostScript option code cannot be embedded in
a PDF file.

I have set the default page size to A4 (all
"*Default{PageSize|PageRegion|ImageableArea|PaperDimension}:") via

lpadmin -p <printer> -o PageSize=A4

and send a JPG job via

lp -d <printer> -o PageSize=A4 -o scaling=100 file.jpg

Starngely enough, I got

CLJ3530pdf till 267 [26/Mar/2012:23:22:33 +0200] 1 1 - localhost
d08684-001 na_letter_8.5x11in -

in /var/log/cups/page_log and with

lpoptions -p <printer> -l

I got

PageSize/Page Size: *Letter A4 A5 A6 ISOB5 EnvC5 Env10 EnvDL 5x13 EnvC6
Executive B5 B6 Legal EnvMonarch 69x95mm Statement

but the job gets centered correctly on A4 paper.

A job without specifying A4 paper, like

lp -d <printer> -o scaling=100 file.jpg

does not get correctly centered.

So I have searched for ~/.cups/lpoptions and /etc/cups/lpoptions and did
not find anything. After that I have searched for a bug in CUPS, until I
found the line

Option media=na_letter_8.5x11in

and some other "Option=..." lines in the section for my printer in
/etc/cups/printers.conf. This printer and one other printer had these
lines (the second was the same printer but with the manufacturer's
PostScript PPD). After stopping CUPS, removing these lines and starting
CUPS again, the problem went away.

Where do these lines come from? Which program has inserted them? How can
I prevent such lines getting inserted?

Should CUPS get fixed by

lpadmin -p <printer> -o PageSize=A4

removing lines like this (Generally if setting the default for a certain
option, removing the "Option ..." line for this option as the default
gets set in the PPD)?

"Option ..." lines should only be there for non-PPD options, like
"number-up".

    Till