[cups.bugs] [LOW] STR #4031: cups-polld should restart polling on error

Jon Peatfield jp107 at cam.ac.uk
Fri Mar 2 11:56:43 PST 2012

[STR Closed w/Resolution]

That sounds good.  Yes printers taking a few seconds to reappear after
waking from sleep is generally fine, and certainly better than having to
get the users to run:

  sudo killall cupsd

>From a Terminal each time!

Eventually I may work out how to support dnssd - I did some experiments
with Avahi a few years ago, but I clearly messed up 'cos though the Macs
could 'see' the printers things failed when they tried to print, and Ahavi
died after about 30 mins (I forget which version of avahi this was but it
certainly put me off trying again for a while...)

Next time I might just try registering them by hand in the DNS and only
try Avahi once I know which records should be present (assuming that
Stuart *iamifish* Cheshire's docs are still current).

For the moment I'm not going to try building cups with the patch since I'm
sure I'd miss some Apple-specific features...

Link: http://www.cups.org/str.php?L4031
Version: 1.5.2
Fix Version: 1.5-current (r10321)