[cups.development] [RFE] STR #4046: Add 8 to number-up options supported

Christopher Sleight christopher at sleight.net
Thu Mar 15 01:28:07 PDT 2012

[STR Closed w/o Resolution]

That's disappointing - the logic behind including 8 is compelling, but I
accept I appear to be out on my own here. The case for including 6
(neither square, nor a power of 2) is very weak by comparison, yet it's
there.

What I was trying to do is not at all unusual: print A7 size cards from
Pages using merged data from a Numbers document, onto A4. This requires
8-up (A7-A4=3, 2^3=8). The correct and elegant way to do this is to work
with an A7 document size, and let the printing system do the N-up. One
copy of the document, no manual layout work, it should 'just work'.
Instead I had to do it the clunky way: manually layout 8 copies of the
document and then find a way of making the merge work - I had to resort to
Word and Excel to get this to work (no 'next record' merge field in Pages).

I'm not sure that your comparison with Windows is a valid basis for
developing a superior product. In any case, Windows applications DO offer
8-up. My ancient copy of MS Word does, and Adobe Reader even offers a
custom M x N option. I'm not clear where the split between OS and
application is in the Windows case, but to the user the feature is
available. Apple is surely trying to do better than Windows.

Link: http://www.cups.org/str.php?L4046
Version:  -feature
Fix Version: None