Associate a backend with a printer?

Aaron Sher asher at vanteon.com
Tue May 8 11:31:55 PDT 2012

It appears to me as if CUPS just simply doesn't support the concept of writing a custom backend for a printer that's already supported by an existing backend. That is, there's no way for a custom backend to preempt an existing backend, and there's no way for the printer to specify which backend it would prefer to work with. Can anyone confirm this for me?

The bottom line is that it appears to be impossible to write a custom backend for a network printer on Mac OS X. Which sucks, and makes me nostalgic for the Tioga days...

Aaron