SCO Unix (EBIX Application)

Helge Blischke h.blischke at acm.org
Wed May 9 06:26:37 PDT 2012

Ian wrote:

> I am a total novice and unsure if I am in the correct place to ask this
> question (I apologise in advance). Basically a friend has an insurance
> brokers running win7 and a sco UNIX app (supplied by EBIX). He can use
> secure print release perfectly from the MS operating system, however, the
> SCO Unix app does not allow this as every users print job is treated as a
> a generic job (ie from the administrator). This means that no print job is
> uniquely identified. it has resulted in printouts being mixed up and wrong
> info sent to the wrong customer> Is there a way to use CUPS as a print
> server to allow secure print release in the SCO Unix eb= environment? Any
> help appreciated or if I am barking up the wrong tree any pointers
> gratefully received. Thanks

Well, it depends on the printer (make and model) used for the so called
"secure printing". Usually the Windows printer driver software encrypts the
pair username/password (or whatever else is used to uniqely identify the
print job) using a proprietary algorithm.
Provided the number of users is sufficiently small, you can install a fake
printer that dumps the authentication stuff into a file and repeat that for
every required user/passwd combination. Once you have this information, you
can write a CUPS filter that uses the "sniffed" data.

To give more help, I'd need more information both on the printer(s) used,
the EBX application and the SCO Unix version (I think CUPS will need to be
installed from the sources there).

Helge