New printers not in hplip drivers of Centos 5

Scott Hallenbeck 7h33y3 at gmail.com
Fri May 11 07:02:01 PDT 2012

Thanks Tim.  I created a clone copy of one of our production servers and virtualized it so I may work on it till I get it right, then push out a new image.

I ran through the HPLIP instructions here:
http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/install/manual/distros/centos.html
and
http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/install/manual/distros/redhatenterprise.html

I installed all the dependencies it called for in the first link, making sure all the preliminary stuff was done, and then followed the RHEL installation with the HPLIP package.
It seemed to install ok with a few warnings about 'gui' stuff which I am not using (X is not installed on the server).

Try to do a
hp-setup -i x.x.x.x
and it tells me it doesn't understand the '-i' option :/
also get this:
warning: python-dbus not installed.

but dbus-python-0.70-9.el5_4 package IS installed an up to date.

I figured I would start again with a fresh (untouched) copy of the virt and try to compile/install by hand now.
I have read about these package differences causing issues, but I haven’t been able to find anything specific about fixing these issues w/ Centos.

Scott