[cups.general] Printer not found

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Thu May 17 12:55:15 PDT 2012

I have a Samsung CLP-325W on my LAN,
and want to add it to a new laptop.
But CUPS does not find the printer
if I go to Administration=>Find New Printers .
Why is this?

When I give the URL, <http://192.168.2.33:631>,
I am asked for the manufacturer, etc.
Does this mean the printer was found, or was not found?

The printer is not listed by CUPS among the Samsung printers
perhaps it is too ancient?
But I do actually have a clp325.ppd on another machine,
and I can install the printer on my laptop using this.

Two other questions: to what extent does the local machine
process a printing command for a network printer?
Does it actually need a PPD file to carry this out?

And finally: I have the Samsung Unified Linux Driver source
as a tarball on another machine, but it seems to be for a 64-bit machine.
I searched <http://www.samsung.com/uk/support/> fairly diligently,
but didn't find the driver there.
Does anyone know where the current 32-bit version can be found?

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net