[cups.general] disable lp/lpr -U option

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Tue May 22 05:58:48 PDT 2012

Hello,

On May 22 05:26 Bjoern wrote (excerpt):
> we are using Cups/Pykota for printaccounting.
> Is it possible to disable the -U option, that users can not print
> from another user account?

No - because it would not really help.

Reason:
As long as the IPP communication with the cupsd happens without
authentication of the user name, any user can set an arbitrary
user name for the IPP communication.

See "man cancel":
        -u username
             Cancels jobs owned by username.

NOTES
        Administrators wishing to prevent unauthorized cancellation
        of jobs via the -u option should require authentication
        for Cancel-Jobs operations in cupsd.conf(5).

But if the IPP communication with the cupsd requires authentication,
any user must authenticate first of all which is less user-friendly
but that is the only way if you cannot trust your users.

Regarding printer accounting in general you may have a look at
http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Printer_Accounting

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner