'held for authetication'

Jen Roidt jenr at cooperfarms.com
Wed May 23 08:07:20 PDT 2012

We are using RHEL version 6.  These are printers that are attached to Windows PC's.  On the pc the printer is shared with a name such as vw115dm. We set them up via the gui as smb://lp:Smb2Prnt@10.8.1.115/vw115dm.  We put in the username and password at the setup time.  Sometimes these printers will print w/not intereaction and some times they are held in the queue with the "held for authentication" in the status. We can use (as you recommended) lp -i printid -H resume to release these but the user needs to call an admin person to do this.  We've tried setting AuthInfoRequred None in the the printers.conf file per a reccomendation from Red Hat. but as soon as you send a print job it changes it back to require a username,password and gets held for sure.