[cups.general] User-specific settings

Helge Blischke h.blischke at acm.org
Thu May 24 01:57:21 PDT 2012

Paul van der Vlis wrote:

> Op 23-05-12 17:19, Michael Sweet schreef:
>> Paul,
>>
>> Do you mean custom values or ???
>
> I mean settings specific for a user. In my case I want to give a
> personlized PIN code for the printjob. But it could also be a very
> normal default setting like duplex printing.
>
> It's about a thin-client server, so there are many people working with
> the same ppd-driver.
>
>> CUPS supports default values ("man
>> lpadmin lpoptions") as well as custom values for printer drivers that
>> support them.
>
> When I print from e.g. GTK applications or LibreOffice, this settings
> are ignored. So I think this are no global cups settings, but settings
> specific for some frontends like lp or lpr. True?
>
> With regards,
> Paul.
>

>> On May 23, 2012, at 6:07 AM, Paul van der Vlis
>> <paul at vandervlis.nl> wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> Is it possible to use user-specific settings in Cups?
>>>
>>> (I don't think so, but not 100% sure)
>>>
>>> With regards, Paul van der Vlis.
>>>

>>> -- Paul van der Vlis Linux systeembeheer Groningen
>>> http://www.vandervlis.nl

>> __________________________________________________ Michael Sweet,
>> Senior Printing System Engineer, PWG Chair

As far as you client apps really use the lpr or lp executables you could
wrap those with a Shell-, Perl-, or Python-script that sets your user
specific options. But GTK to my knowledge uses the CUPS API directly, and
LibreOffice does so by default (you may force the environment variable
SAL_DISABLE_CUPS to true and configure printing using the spadmin utility
which works on Linux to my experience).

But for the general case, I'd suggest e.g. to set up a prefilter for
application/postscript that does the following:
(1) if no "*cupsJobTicket: ..." lines are found after the first line
beginning with "%!", insert the user specific options here and requeue the
job.
(2) otherwise, do nothing but copying the input to stdout.

Helge