Windows XP and Windows 7 print auth popup

Miquel Quiles miquel.quiles at uib.es
Thu May 24 02:43:34 PDT 2012

I have configured CUPS with "Basic" auth and PAM-ldap so LDAP users can print through CUPS server.

I'am using it from Linux, Mac OS X, Windows XP and Windows 7 and it works ok.
When I configure the printer in Windows, I must set the username/password at config time. On Linux and Mac OS X there is the possibility to enter username/password at printing time. User prints any doc and after selecting the printing options, when you press the "print" button a popup auth emerges.

My question: Is there any possibility of configuring this on Windows XP or Windows 7? I've tried to do so, but there are only 3 options: "use anonymous account", "use Windows session account" or "use an specific username and password". Is there any hidden config where I can activate this pop-up option?

Thanks in advance.