[cups.general] User-specific settings

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Thu May 24 07:12:49 PDT 2012

Paul,

Sent from my iPad

On May 24, 2012, at 12:37 AM, Paul van der Vlis <paul at vandervlis.nl> wrote:

> Op 23-05-12 17:19, Michael Sweet schreef:
>> Paul,
>>
>> Do you mean custom values or ???
>
> I mean settings specific for a user. In my case I want to give a
> personlized PIN code for the printjob. But it could also be a very
> normal default setting like duplex printing.

This is supported by CUPS. Whether the front ends you are using support it is another question...

>> CUPS supports default values ("man
>> lpadmin lpoptions") as well as custom values for printer drivers that
>> support them.
>
> When I print from e.g. GTK applications or LibreOffice, this settings
> are ignored. So I think this are no global cups settings, but settings
> specific for some frontends like lp or lpr. True?

Defaults set via lpadmin apply to any client, but can be overridden by the client software.

The CUPS API provides access to these defaults, but it sounds like these two pieces of software choose to ignore them...