[cups.general] CUPS username/password

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Fri May 25 17:24:05 PDT 2012

Martin Schuster (IFKL IT OS DS CD) wrote:

> On 2012-05-25 14:12, Timothy Murphy wrote:
>> When I browse to http://localhost.localdomain:631/
>> and click on Administration=>Add Printer
>> I am asked to enter the CUPS username/password.
>> It accepts root/<root-password>
>> but I don't recall ever being asked to set this?
>>
> Look into /etc/pam.d/cups
> it will most likely include sth. that uses pam_unix,
> i.e. will authenticate against your standard Unix users.

Thanks for your response.

The file /etc/pam.d/cups reads
----------------------------
#%PAM-1.0
# Use password-auth common PAM configuration for the daemon
auth        include     password-auth
account     include     password-auth

I'm not sure of the exact effect of this.
However, I find that if I give my usual name/password
when asked by CUPS, I get the response
"Unable to add printer:"

--
Timothy Murphy