[cups.general] CUPS username/password

Martin Schuster (IFKL IT OS DS CD) Martin.Schuster1 at infineon.com
Mon May 28 23:38:36 PDT 2012

On 2012-05-26 02:23, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> [...]
> The file /etc/pam.d/cups reads
> ----------------------------
> #%PAM-1.0
> # Use password-auth common PAM configuration for the daemon
> auth        include     password-auth
> account     include     password-auth
> ----------------------------

So you have to look at /etc/pam.d/password-auth
;)

> [...]
> However, I find that if I give my usual name/password
> when asked by CUPS, I get the response
> "Unable to add printer:"

Looks like authentification (the pam-stuff) works correctly
(otherwise you would get "wrong password" or a similar message)

/etc/cups/cupsd.conf
will have sth like the following:

   SystemGroup lpadmin
   <Limit CUPS-Add-Modify-Printer ...>
       Require user @SYSTEM
   </Limit>

so you (or rather your "usual name") has to be in the lpadmin
group (exact name might be different on your system).

hth, cheers,
Infineon Technologies IT-Services GmbH   Martin.Schuster1 at infineon.com
Lakeside B05, 9020 Klagenfurt, Austria   Martin Schuster
          FB: LG Klagenfurt, FN 246787y   +43 5 1777 3517