What sets FINAL_CONTENT_TYPE? - need clarification on cupsFilter2 keyword in PPD

Paul Conklin paul.conklin at cerner.com
Wed May 30 16:13:41 PDT 2012

It looks like there is a new PPD option starting with CUPS 1.5 (cupsFilter2) that looks like it will do what I need, but I'm having problems getting it to work right.  from reading here http://www.cups.org/documentation.php/doc-1.6/spec-ppd.html it appears it will let you "short circuit" the mime chain.  in 1.6 i get this
[root at CUPS cups1.6b1]# echo "make me some coffee" | lp -dmytest
lp: Unsupported document-format "text/plain".

even though i have this in my PPD
*cupsFilter2:    "text/plain application/vnd.paul 0 coffee"

I also have a paul.types file in /etc/cups to "register" the type

if i regress back to 1.5.3, it bypasses the "coffee" filter all together and converts it to vnd.cups-postscript.

so either it actually came about in 1.6 and I am still doing something wrong or 1.5 and 1.6 treat it differntly as the only change i did between tests is re-compiled

1.5.3
[root at CUPS cups-1.5.3]# echo "make me some coffee" | lp -dmytest
request id is mytest-13 (0 file(s))