[cups.general] What sets FINAL_CONTENT_TYPE? - need clarification on cupsFilter2 keyword in PPD

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Wed May 30 20:28:22 PDT 2012

Paul,

On May 30, 2012, at 4:13 PM, Paul Conklin wrote:
> if i regress back to 1.5.3, it bypasses the "coffee" filter all together and converts it to vnd.cups-postscript.
>
> so either it actually came about in 1.6 and I am still doing something wrong or 1.5 and 1.6 treat it differntly as the only change i did between tests is re-compiled
>
> 1.5.3
> [root at CUPS cups-1.5.3]# echo "make me some coffee" | lp -dmytest
> request id is mytest-13 (0 file(s))

cupsFilter2 is new in CUPS 1.5; I am not aware of any issues with the current implementation and we use it widely for new printers.

Something to remember - the presence of cupsFilter2 lines disables all cupsFilter lines - this was done on purpose to allow a driver to support both the old and new way of specifying filters without interference. The new way allows things like the IPP backend to know the correct MIME media type for the printer-ready data...