advanced printer options visibility

muzzol muzzol at gmail.com
Thu May 31 03:46:21 PDT 2012

hi,

I've been using a cups server without any problems for about a year with mainly windows clients.

now I'm configuring several linux clients and I miss advanced printing options such as "Locked print" (you have to type a pass to print).

If I add printers with command:

   lpadmin -p Ricoh_Aficio_MP_171SPF_Informatica \
   -v ipp://cups.example.net:631/printers/Ricoh_Aficio_MP_171SPF_Informatica -E

I only get a subset of all printer options on local client workstation.

If I use

    lpadmin -p Ricoh_Aficio_MP_171SPF_Informatica \
    -v "http://cups.example.net:631/printers/Ricoh_Aficio_MP_171SPF_Informatica" \
    -m "openprinting-ppds:0/Ricoh/PXL/Ricoh-Aficio_MP_171_PXL.ppd" -E

I get all printer options.

Is there any way to get all printing options without needing to specify driver?

regards,

muzzol