Konica-Minolta 4750en crashed using CUPS 1.52 but not 1.50

Helge Blischke h.blischke at acm.org
Wed May 2 07:39:36 PDT 2012

Mark Blades wrote:

> Hi
>
> I just updates my Ubuntu desktop to 12.04 (fresh install rather than
> upgrade).  ON reinstalling my printers from the cups web interface I found
> that the 4750en although found and installed by CUPS using the same ppd
> file (from K-M support site) any job sent to the printer from cups 1.52
> hangs the printer (flashing processing light and the printers web
> interface becomes unreachable).  I have tried installing as a jet/direct
> or ipp printer to no avail.  Also tried installing via USB with the smae
> results.
>
> I have a laptop with cups 1.50 (on ubuntu 11.10) installed and this prints
> fine over ethernet using either jet/direct or ipp protocols.
>
> I am currently trying to find a way to print to file from the 2 cups
> versions so that I can compare the PS output for any clues but can't see a
> way to do that? If the problem is malformed postscript can I send a .pdf
> to the printer from the shell to bypass the interpreter?
>
> any help much appreciated
>
> Mark

To save the final data sent to the printer, you may do the following:
(1) shut down cups
(2) save the file /etc/cups/printers.conf for safety
(3) for the printer in question, change the DeviceURI line to
    DeviceURI file:///absolute_path_to_destination_file
(4) make the directory where the destination file should be written to
    world wrietable
(5) start cups
(6) make a test print using the same source that caused the problem
(7) shut down cups
(8) restore the original DeviceURI for the printer in question in
    /etc/cups/printers.conf
(9) start cups
(10) post (an URL to) the saved sample files.

Note that steps 2,3, and 8 must be done as root (or via sudo command).

Helge