Konica-Minolta 4750en crashed using CUPS 1.52 but not 1.50

James Cloos cloos at jhcloos.com
Thu May 3 09:46:43 PDT 2012

Mark Blades <m.c.blades at btinternet.com> writes:

> %%[ Starting Executive ]%%
> UltraScript(tm) Version 3015.102  COPYRIGHT 1987, 2002 MINOLTA-QMS, INC.

That is the same version they use on the higher-end printers.

Try this:

nc --idle-timeout=60  magic 9100 <cups1-52_fail.txt >& 4750-fail.out

and then:

egrep -a '^%%' 4750-fail.out

You might need to adjust the nc options, or use netcat instead,
depending on the versions you have installed.

The 5750 gives me this:

%%[ Error handled by opdfread.ps : ioerror; OffendingCommand: readstring ]%%
%%[STACK:
%%[ Flushing: rest of job (to end-of-file) will be ignored ]%%

But if you can convince your cups' pdftops filter to use
/usr/bin/pdftops instead of /usr/bin/gs it should work better.

That is what your 150 example used.

I grabbed the cups-filters deb; frm the control file I see that debian
now uses the openprinting cups filters.  Their version of the filter
still has support for using pdftops(1) (although it blocks level3
output, which would be better for the KM printers, because it causes
problems on some HP printers), but you would need to recompile from
source to use it.

I'd suggest reporting this to debian as a bug (using reportbug(1)).
Your printer prefers the Postscript generated by poppler's or xpdf's
pdftops -level3 over the Postscript generated by Ghostscript's ps2writer.

Their switch to use the latter in cups-filters is a regression for you.

-JimC