[cups.development] Associate a backend with a printer?

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Mon May 7 08:25:00 PDT 2012

Aaron,

On May 7, 2012, at 8:16 AM, Aaron Sher <asher at vanteon.com> wrote:
> I'm working on a Mac OS X driver for a network printer, which is currently discovered via Bonjour. I have a need to create a custom backend, and I can't figure out how to get it associated with my printer. Currently, it's discovered via dnssd, and the DNS lookup is resolving the dnssd:// URI to a socket:// URI; ideally, I'd like to just alter this lookup so that it returns a URI with a different scheme, but I don't know how.

This is not currently possible.

Does your network printer support the standard service types (ipp, printer, pdl-datastream)? If so, is there a reason why you cannot use the supplied backends?

If not, you *can* do Bonjour lookups for your service type and report it like any other backend would.  The resulting printer will *not* be visible in the "nearby printers" list of the print dialog but will be accessible via the Add Printer window from System Preferences.