[cups.development] [RFE] STR #3935: Drop serial and parallel backends

silviumc at fastmail.fm silviumc at fastmail.fm
Fri May 11 07:56:36 PDT 2012

[STR Closed w/Resolution]

While I agree that serial printers are very rare and computers aren't made
with parallel ports anymore, there is probably a large number of parallel
printers still in use.  For example, good old laser printers that still
provide quality printing (I own one).  Dropping support for these now is a
bit premature and not very "eco-friendly" :-) If it's not a lot of effort,
could you support them for a few more years?

I'm not asking just for me an my own printer.  Incidentally, openSUSE had
a bug with the parallel printer support.  I have made a fix and blogged
about it.  That blog entry has gotten more hits than I expected.. and it's
just one Linux distribution and one dude's blog post that's been only a few
months on the internet.

Thank you

Link: http://www.cups.org/str.php?L3935
Version: 1.6-feature