[cups.bugs] [HIGH] STR #4078: PDF document cannot be printed in landscape mode

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Wed May 16 10:38:21 PDT 2012

[STR Closed w/o Resolution]

Because the pdftops filter DOES NOT KNOW the dimensions in the PDF file,
only the helper program run by the filter knows.

If we pass the default media size to the helper program then you can't
just print an arbitrary PDF file and get the output on the correct media.
It also prevents mixed documents (e.g. envelopes and pages) from working.

Similarly, the "landscape" and "orientation-requested" options (the latter
being the official one) are advisory in nature, i.e. which way do you want
the pages rotated?  If we force the value from the print job then you lose
the automatic orientation offered by the helper programs.

Link: http://www.cups.org/str.php?L4078
Version: 1.4.5
Fix Version: Third-party