Cannot print Chinese text on Ubuntu 12.04/CUPS 1.5.2, Kyocera FS-1030D

Dreamon dreamon at portblue.de
Sat May 26 02:42:08 PDT 2012

I recently started experiencing problems printing Chinese text after upgrading to Ubuntu Precise Pangolin 12.04 LTS and CUPS 1.5.2. Documents which contain Chinese text formatted as "AR PL UMing CN" (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arphic_Technology) do not print properly on my Kyocera FS-1030D anymore. Printing the same document on Ubuntu Oneiric Ocelot 11.10 with CUPS 1.5.0 works fine. On 12.04, however, when I print a document from LibreOffice or Evince (PDF) which uses this font, the printer typically requires a long time to process the file, then throws out an empty page, followed by another page showing one of the following two error messages:
ERROR: limitcheck
OFFENDING COMMAND: imagemask
STACK: -mark- -mark- -mark- -mark-
  or
ERROR: typecheck
OFFENDING COMMAND: gt
STACK: <a five digit number>
--nostringval-- <one or more lines of random characters/gibberish>

Printing works fine if I change to a Microsoft TTF font (e.g. SimSun, the MS default for Simplified Chinese). This can only be a temporary solution, however.
Since I have been unable to determine what exactly is causing this problem, I would very much appreciate it if someone could shed some light on this.

Problem: Cannot print documents using font "AR PL UMing CN"
Workaround: Use alternative font for Simplified Chinese, e.g. MS SimSun
System: Ubuntu Precise Pangolin 12.04 LTS (64 bit)
CUPS version: 1.5.2-9ubuntu1
Printer: Kyocera FS-1030D
Programmes: LibreOffice 3.5.3 and Evince 3.4.0