Only one copy when printing with samba

Helge Blischke h.blischke at acm.org
Tue Nov 27 07:55:51 PST 2012

Johan Bengtsson wrote:

> Hi,
>
> One of our printers, a Xerox Phaser 5550 DT, will refuse to print more
> than one copy of a print job when printing from Windows through Samba on
> our CUPS print server.
>
> It works like it should from Linux, no similar complaints about other
> printers on our server (we have 400+ printers).
>
> If I print to file in Windows, and then send this file from Linux with
> "lp -o raw" it works.
>
> We're using this ppd:
>
> http://print.chalmers.se/drivers/a-2234-laser1.ppd
>
> CUPS 1.4.6. on the server.
> Samba: Version 3.5.10-0.109
>
> We're using the socket backend for almost all of our printers including
> this one. I tried the ipp and the lpd backend to see if that would make
> any difference, it didn't...
>
> Any ideas about what could be causing this? Or how to to troubleshot?
>
> I attach a file containing postscript I grabbed in /var/spool/cups, the
> result of trying to print (from Windows 7) a four copy print job.
>
> Best regards,
> Johan Bengtsson/Chalmers IT-service

That is a combined CUPS/SAMBA configuration issue. Obviously, your Windows
originating jobs are tagged as "application/postscript" by cupsd on the
server and then piped through the usual filter chain which causes the pstops
(or the pdftopdf) filter to insert the default options known to the server
into the job. As the number of copies defaults to 1 unless explicitely
specified, the copies spec set by Windows gets overwritten.

As you say printing the Windows originating jobs with "-o raw", I'd suggest
to add
cups options = "raw"
to your smb.conf, which forces those Windows jobs as raw through CUPS.

Helge

PS: another approach, which I myself did some time ago, would be to modify
the pstops filter to not to insert the local defaults into windows jobs, but
that would be repeated after every cups update, so I don't recommend it.