Only one copy when printing with samba

Johan Bengtsson elijah at NOSPAMMchalmers.se
Tue Nov 27 08:14:46 PST 2012

Helge Blischke wrote:

> That is a combined CUPS/SAMBA configuration issue. Obviously, your Windows
> originating jobs are tagged as "application/postscript"

Yes, I checked that.

> by cupsd on the
> server and then piped through the usual filter chain which causes the
> pstops (or the pdftopdf) filter to insert the default options known to the
> server into the job. As the number of copies defaults to 1 unless
> explicitely specified, the copies spec set by Windows gets overwritten.
>
> As you say printing the Windows originating jobs with "-o raw", I'd
> suggest to add
> cups options = "raw"
> to your smb.conf, which forces those Windows jobs as raw through CUPS.

OK, we recently upgraded our server, and it seems we had this option
enabled on the old server. But I don't think we will enable it again on the
new server, according to one of my colleagues this causes JCL to stop
working.

Strange that it's only this printer that's causing trouble?

> PS: another approach, which I myself did some time ago, would be to modify
> the pstops filter to not to insert the local defaults into windows jobs,
> but that would be repeated after every cups update, so I don't recommend
> it.

Would be great if I had a fix that could be applied only to this particular
printer...throwing it in the garbage bin would of course be one;-)

-Johan B